Monday, February 6, 2012

Massage and marinate

Like many people, I am not a fan of certain raw plain veggies. However- I have found a technique, if you want to call it that, to make these veggies taste so good and have a semi "cooked" texture with out adding any heat.

Massage your veggies with some oil and your other favorite flavors. Then let them marinate for 10-20 minutes. So simple but so good.

At the top of my hit list of raw veggies I want to like, but don't was broccoli. Tonight I poured about 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a couple heads of chopped broccoli, added about a tsp of Tamari (soy sauce) and massaged it in to the broccoli. After about 10 minutes the broccoli was a bit softer and had a similar texture to lightly steamed broccoli.

I have also done this with kale. If you don't like how strong it taste or the texture just massage in some olive oil. The kale wilts as if it were sauteed. I really enjoy raw kale but like to do this to change it up a bit.

Sauteed mushrooms were once one of my favorite foods. Now, instead of cooking them, I simply marinate them in a bit of olive oil and either tamari or balsamic vinegar.

So...if you want to add some flavor and texture to your veggies massage and marinate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment